SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE FORESTRY
August '99 Headlines
BASED PANELS & BOARDS: North-South relationships forged for
panel and board growth
The August edition of the Southern Hemisphere
Forest Industry Journal features the annual Southern Hemisphere Wood Based Panels and
A key finding is the new relationships that are being built between the wood based panels
and boards producers of the Northern Hemisphere and their counterparts in the Southern
Companies from the South are seeking access to capital and markets, while their Northern
counterparts seek new investment opportunities and wood resources.
Summaries are provided of country-by-country performance and details are provided of
Are you ready for the Year 2000 - the Y2K bug and timber markets.
- Alto Parana is building a new sawmill, with a production capacity of
240,000 cubic metres per annum.
- Perez Companc is launching one of the countrys largest
sawmills, in Misiones
- A Forestry Law to boost plantation development has been sanctioned by
- Fletcher Challenge is hoping to merge its Southern Hemisphere
operations into Fletcher Canada.
- A controversial native logging scheme on the West Coast has received
- Sappi Ltd is welcoming the upward movement in pulp prices, and is
expecting sales to improve domestically.
- The leasing to private enterprise of State forestry assets, including
the 332,000 hectares of Safcol forests, is expected soon.
The demand v. supply theory is being given new
life as markets wake up from the dark days of the Asian economic crisis. We include our Market View survey of key
HEMISPHERE PINE PRICE INDEX:
The Southern Hemisphere Pine Price Index is the
average of all prices for pine lumber across the main forestry countries of the South. Available to subscribers.